For as long as I can remember, which is practically my entire life, since I’ve know my very funny friend Kerrie Gallagher since she was 3-years old and I was 4-years old, Kerrie can make anyone laugh. She can transform a crap day into a day you are chuckling through the tears. Tears of laughter that is. She has that knack to make anyone laugh and here she goes again with a Guest Blog from Sassy Single Mom dot Com. Check it out and LIKE them because between her and Gretchen, official Sassy Single Mom, the humor just keeps coming and a good thing too, because I need a post today. :-)
Take a Chill Pill…Your Words Are Showing Your AgeBy Guest Blogger: Kerrie Gallagher
Like accents that identify which part of the country we are from (Wicked awesome!), certain words and phrases give away our age. Pop culture catchphrases and references go in and out of style like soul patches, the “Rachel” haircut, and to go back even further… M.C. Hammer pants. As a Gen X’er I am headed into the world of the uncool. The same place where I mocked my parents for making 8 Track and disco references. Let’s face it, Madonna and Def Leppard now play on the oldies station. Mike Myers is Shrek to the younger groups, not Wayne Campbell or Austin Powers. I started to make this realization when I watched my 9 year-old nephew’s first basketball game. “Wow!” I said, “You’re better than Michael Jordan.” He looked at me quizzically and said, “Who’s Michael Jordan?” Ugh… shot through the heart. (Did your mind start playing Bon Jovi? Yep, you’re old too. Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
Are you showing your age with your words? You don’t think so? Well, talk to the hand becauseyou can’t handle the truth. Break out your Trapper Keeper and take this quiz. If you find yourself saying YES to any of these… don’t be alarmed if an old-school intervention is coming your way.
1. You sometimes get the urge to say “Not!” at the end of a sentence.
2. You want to exclaim, “Whazzzuuupppp?”, “How you doin’?”, or “Word up!” when you answer your cellular.
3a. You either say out loud or to yourself, “Show me the money!” or “cha-ching” when you open your paycheck.
3b. That was a test… your paychecks should be digital.
4. When getting ready to go out with your girlfriends the phrases, “bust a move” or “get jiggy with it” are mentioned. OR while at a bar you refer to an attractive guy as, “Rico Suave.”
5. You say “two thumbs up” when describing a movie you’ve liked.
6. “Yada, yada, yada.” is said when you don’t want to go into too many details.
7. You still use the phrase, “Who’s your Daddy?” at athletic events.
8. “Psyche!” is said after trying to trick someone.
9. When on a boat or rooftop you want to yell, “I am King of the World!”
10. Any of the following words or sayings are still part of your vocabulary… “da bomb,” “bling,” “stoked,” “d’oh,” “as if,” “phat,” “ya mother,” “You go girl!”, “cool beans,” “buzz kill,” “We were on a break!”, or “what up, G?”
Did you say yes to at least one of these? No? Is that your final answer? Well, isn’t that special? I guess that’s my bad. I’m not worthy! (Oops, I did it again.) Hopefully catchphrases in the new millennium will be “legen… wait for it… dary.” The tribe has spoken. Peace out.